I came home from my CSA (Community Sustained Agriculture) pickup and had onions, summer squash and zucchini coming out of my ears! I know it’s summer, but I decided to pick up some textured vegetable protein and an avocado and make myself a delicious, heart-healthy chilli. It likely makes two servings but you’ll see for yourself…you may not want to share. (I didn’t!) Feel free to add shredded non-dairy cheese, crumbled tortilla chips and non-dairy sour cream for a finishing touch and a more robust meal.
[wpdealpon unixtime="1358341334" price="ONLY £5pm" style="red" buy_url=" http://www.pledgingforchange.org?a_aid=sadiessanctuary" timer_finish="2311-08-21 12:30:30"]Join our community of ethical businesses on Pledging for Change via the buy now link below and Sadies Horse Rescue Sanctuary will benefit too[/wpdealpon]
Healthy Summer Squash Chilli
2 generous TBSP, Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1/2 large yellow onion, chopped
1 small summer squash, peeled and diced
2 pinches of kosher salt
1/2 package of Lightlife Smart Ground (Mexican Flavor)
1 c tomato sauce
1/4 avocado, diced for garnish
- In a large saute pan, heat the olive oil.
- Once warm, add the chopped onion and stir until it starts to brown.
- Next add the summer squash, and continue to stir together.
- Once the squash starts to cook down, add the ground turkey and chilli seasoning or just the Smart Ground and combine well. (If using turkey, cook until the pink is gone; with Smart Ground mix until the vegetables are tender.)
- Next add a cup of your favorite tomato sauce, and mix well until the sauce picks up the heat of the dish.
- Serve immediately and top with diced avocado.