I was in my favorite supermarket, Guido’s, in Great Barrington, Massachusetts this weekend.
I knew I had some gorgeous Japanese eggplant at home and was looking for a nice grain to compliment the vegetable. What I found was black barley.
[wpdealpon unixtime="1358341334" price="ONLY £5pm" style="red" buy_url=" http://www.pledgingforchange.org?a_aid=sadiessanctuary" timer_finish="2311-08-21 12:30:30"]Join our community of ethical businesses on Pledging for Change via the buy now link below and Sadies Horse Rescue Sanctuary will benefit too[/wpdealpon]
I picked up some colorful heirloom cherry-sized tomatoes and came home to whip us this new dish. It is remarkably simple ~ I kept searching for other things so add but it needed nothing ~ and it has a wonderful, earthy flavor.
Ingredients for Vegan Egg Plant and Black Barley
- 12 cherry tomatoes (I used 7 red and 5 yellow), cut into 1/4s or 1/8s and seeded
- 2 japanese eggplant, diced
- Olive Oil
- Kosher Salt
- 1 cup Black Barley
- In a medium pot, bring 3 cups of water to a boil.
- Then add the barley, and cook for 40 minutes, or until al dente. (I boiled for 10 minutes, brought it to a simmer, and then raised it to boiling again.)
- Preheat your oven to roast at 400 degrees.
- On a baking sheet, spread out your eggplant and tomatoes. Drizzle oil and salt, to your preference, over the vegetables. Mix them gently, with your hands until well coated.
- Roast the vegetables until tender and almost caramelized, mixing a few times as you go (20-30 minutes.)
- Once the barley is cooked, drain the excess liquid, add the roasted veggies, and stir until combined.
Enjoy warm and garnish with fresh chopped parsley.
Have you tried black barley in a favorite recipe yet?
Let me know what you think when you try it. I’m sure you will love it